My18th
Follow and join in this discussion by using your free 18thConnect account.

Help - my Typewright page contains footnote letters! RSS

Posted by PeterR on Mar 30, 2016 10:36PM

I am testing out Typewright by looking at

http://www.18thconnect.org/typewright/documents/250081/edit?src=alto&page=2#

This page contains footnote letters a, b, etc that upset the flow of text.  Is there any way of marking them up or do I just include them as separate words?
This comment was modified on Apr 04, 2016 02:10PM
Creative Commons License This post is protected by a Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike Creative Commons License. Learn more here.
Replies to this topic (3)

Posted by Liz Grumbach on Jul 18, 2016 10:36PM

Dear Peter,

First, apologies for the delayed response here. I'm happy to continue a conversation here in the forum or via email (technologies@18thconnect.org) should you have any other questions, concerns, or needs.

We do allow some optional markup in the TypeWright tool for paratextual elements, such as catchwords and signature marks. While we don't allow all TEI markup in the TypeWright tool, we have built in functionality to add and export (as XML, when a document is marked complete and evaluated) certain elements. Those can be found at the address below.

http://www.18thconnect.org/about/typewright/optional-markup-guidelines/

Posted by PeterR on Jul 18, 2016 11:07PM

So, where "a" directs to a footnote, should I use  the following syntax?

A. To glorifie <hi rend ="sup">a</hi> God, and save his

This does not display at all - i.e. "a" still looks like a word:

A. To glorifie a God, and save his  

Peter

Posted by Liz Grumbach on Jul 21, 2016 08:07PM

The TEI will not display in the TypeWright interface. Adding TEI to the transcription will only make a difference if you, or any user, wishes to work with an XML export of the document once corrections on that document are completed. So, the addition of TEI tags in the TypeWright interface is *not* meant to enhance the appearance of the transcription within the TypeWright tool -- it simply allows a user to get a headstart in making a digital edition. TypeWright is not an edition builder; it is a crowd-sourced correction tool.

I hope this information helps.